Tuesday, August 26, 2014

BYU: The start to my future finish line.

If you would have had a conversation with me a few years ago about my future and what it held for me, it would not have been a very enthralling dialogue. How interesting to come to the realization that good things truly do come to those who not only wait, but get out there and put forth the effort. My life is starting to become a true testament of just that.

I never expected to even get into Brigham Young University, and even after I did I wasn't quite sure if I was even interested in attending. I knew that if I graduated from a religious institution, such as BYU, that there would undoubtedly be a stigma attached to my degree of being overly conservative, and as a journalist, that was NOT something that I wanted.

But, I was prompted to attend BYU. After my first semester I knew I was in the right place, but I wasn't able to take core classes for my major (broadcast journalism), and it really just led me to continue to be unenthusiastic about living in Utah and my future. I felt I was guided to BYU for a reason, but I had never felt more alone or uninspired by my surroundings. Why had my Heavenly Father dropped me in this place and then forgotten about me?

Capital West News Team
Everything changed after I was able to take classes in Salt Lake City and cover the Legislature at Utah's Capitol building (CapWestNews). I've never been known for my deep investment in politics, but after being able to cover all bills, rallies, and meetings affecting the LGBT community it just truly sparked my desire to become a serious journalist. The connections I made with my classmates as well as my professors helped me to finally realize why I moved to Utah in the first place. It finally clicked. I had made true friends, and loved getting up in the morning and being surrounded by such inspiring people whose goals in life mirrored that of my own.

One of my classes was taught by a reporter from the Salt Lake Tribune and it was because of this class that I was able to be suggested for the internship that I was blessed with less than a month ago. I landed a part-time paid political desk internship at the Salt Lake Tribune which I have been doing since the beginning of August helping with their political blog, Political Cornflakes. I just received my first real writing assignment and I'm so incredibly nervous, but just so excited to learn from veteran journalists who have so much to teach me! Like I said, I've never been the queen of politics, but when amazing opportunities fall into your lap you just take advantage of it and enjoy the extraordinary experience.

I really look forward to soaking it all in. This time in my life has been the most difficult, but also the most rewarding. It's taken me longer than most to realize what I wanted to do and be, but now that I know, I plan on putting in more than 100 percent. For those that took the time to read this far, just know that it's really never too late to go after your dreams. I won't graduate till 2016 when I'm 26, but I know I'll be happy and further than I would have been if I had stood still in my comfort zone back in San Diego. Having direction in my life has become one of the best gifts I've ever been given. Finally knowing where I'm going and what I truly want is literally the best feeling in the world, and I hope you all feel like you're in the right place at the right time because there's really nothing better. Let the learning begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment